Creamy Cabbage Lasagna with Beef and Herbs
This delicious cabbage lasagna recipe uses cabbage in place of the lasagna sheets. If you enjoy the best lasagna recipes but do not want to use lasagna noodles there is an alternative and that is to use healthy cabbage leaves instead. This cabbage lasagna is made in a rectangular pan (it should be at least two inches high) and then baked to perfection. You can brown the cooked lasagna under a broiler to add more color if you like but this is optional.
This lasagna features ground beef, rice, onion and a creamy sauce too. In fact it features everything except the lasagna noodles and, as you can see, those can easily be replaced with cabbage.
The cheese sets on top to form a delicious layer and you can swap the mozzarella for Havarti if you want a different flavor or omit the mozzarella altogether for less cheesiness and use the parmesan only.
- 1 ½ lbs ground beef
- 3 lbs green cabbage
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 chopped onion
- 8 oz tomato sauce
- ⅓ cup uncooked white rice
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup grated mozzarella
- ⅓ cup grated parmesan
- 2 cups milk
- 2 eggs
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Drop about 20 of the cabbage leaves into boiling water.
- Cover and cook for 3 minutes. Chop the remainder of the cabbage coarsely.
- Heat a skillet and add the onion and beef.
- Cook slowly, stirring frequently, until the beef browns.
- Stir in the salt, pepper, basil, oregano, chopped cabbage, tomato sauce, and rice.
- Cover and simmer, stirring frequently, for 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Trim the thick ribs from the cabbage leaves.
- Arrange about half the leaves in the bottom of a 13 x 9 inch pan, overlapping them a bit.
- Spoon the beef mixture on top.
- Top with the rest of the cabbage leaves, letting them overlap.
- Melt the butter in a pan and stir in the salt and flour.
- Beat this mixture with a wire whisk until smooth.
- Stir in the milk gradually and bring the mixture to a boil, whisking all the time, until thick.
- Let it boil for 1 minute and then remove from the heat.
- Beat the eggs with a wire whisk and gradually beat in the hot milk mixture.
- Pour this sauce evenly over the cabbage lasagna and sprinkle with the mozzarella and parmesan.
- Bake until the top is set. This will take about 45 minutes.
This flavorful treat is made with cabbage leaves instead of lasagna noodles and if you want to enjoy a pasta-free lasagna, this might be the best layered recipe to go for. Layering the beef mixture with the cabbage leaves and topping the cabbage lasagna recipe with a creamy sauce and plenty of cheese means you will get the full lasagna effect, just without the pasta. Cabbage is good for you and this meal also tastes delicious, whether you serve it alone or with some cherry tomatoes or steamed broccoli on the side.
Leave a Reply
- Homemade Italian Sausage and Spinach Calzone May 7, 2016
- Classic Italian Chicken Saltimbocca April 22, 2016
- Hunter Style Baked Italian Chicken Cacciatore April 6, 2016
- Wild Mushroom Boletus Italian Style Soup April 3, 2016
- Vegetarian Pasta Primavera with Fettuccine March 30, 2016
- Roman Style Saltimbocca Alla Romana with Polenta March 25, 2016
- Classic Italian Dishes – Parmigiana Eggplant March 25, 2016
- Authentic Vegetarian Italian Asparagus Risotto March 23, 2016
- Rotisserie Chicken and Vegetable Risotto March 19, 2016
- Citrus Feta Cheese Risotto with Spinach March 18, 2016
- One of the Best Vegetarian Lasagna Recipes with Ricotta Cheese (404501 Views)
- Home (142076 Views)
- Best Pizza Sauce for Home Made Pizza (64881 Views)
- Crispy Chicken Milanese with Herb (27742 Views)
- Authentic Clams Oreganata (20426 Views)
- The Best Bechamel in the World (14868 Views)
- Authentic Old World Italian Pizza Dough Recipe (13707 Views)
- Lasagna Rollups in the Slow Cooker (11782 Views)
- Just How Far Ahead Can I Make Lasagna (11333 Views)
- Classic Lasagna with Creamy Bechamel Sauce (11326 Views)