Lasagna Rollups in the Slow Cooker
These lasagna rollups are easy to make in the slow cooker. They are not only attractive, but very tasty as well. If you have a medium-sized crockpot you will find the lasagna rollups fit perfectly inside. The lasagna noodles are cooked and then filled with a flavorful cheese, zucchini, and spice mixture. They are cooked between two layers of spaghetti sauce, and you can choose a meaty one, a tomato one or even make your own lasagna sauce recipe.
This makes a flavorful change from the more classic lasagna recipes, and it is nice served with a fresh salad. Swap the zucchini for broccoli or mushrooms if you prefer, or add different seasonings or herbs to the filling mix. Chilling the filling mix not only intensifies the flavors and encourages everything to blend but it becomes stickier and thicker and holds the lasagna noodles together better, which is important since they are rolled up and you do not want them to unravel.
This crockpot lasagna rollups recipe only takes half an hour on high, but you could give it an hour or two on low if you prefer. The lasagna noodles are cooked and the filling just needs to heat through. The longer you cook this, the softer it will become. You can see through the lid of the crockpot when the cheese melts, and that is your signal that it is ready to be served.
- 12 lasagna noodles
- 1½ lbs spaghetti sauce (any kind)
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- Fresh chopped basil, for garnish
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1¼ cups cottage cheese
- ½ cup shredded Monterrey-Jack cheese
- 2 cups chopped cooked zucchini
- ⅛ teaspoon garlic powder
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- Put ½ the spaghetti sauce in the crockpot and turn it to the high heat setting.
- Beat the cottage cheese until smooth.
- Stir in the Jack cheese, cheddar, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, zucchini, pepper, and Italian seasoning.
- Cover and refrigerate this filling mixture, so the flavors can mellow and blend.
- Cook the lasagna noodles until they are tender, then drain them, and rinse with cold water.
- Put 2 tablespoons of filling at the end of each noodle, and then sprinkle parmesan over the filling.
- Roll the noodle up jellyroll-style and stand upright in the crockpot.
- You can secure them with toothpicks but that should not be necessary.
- Repeat with the remaining noodles, filling, and parmesan.
- Cover with the remaining sauce and cook for 30 minutes or until the cheese has melted and the lasagna rollups are hot.
- Sprinkle with basil and serve with a salad if you like, or another tasty side dish.
This flavorful, unusual dish makes a change from traditional lasagna recipes. Use a meaty spaghetti sauce, like shows in the picture, or a plain tomato one. You can even make your own sauce or take some influence from another cuisine and make a spicy sauce. Lasagna is always a satisfying dish and it is wonderful comfort food during the cooler months. This lasagna rollups recipe is very simple and it is also quick for a crockpot recipe, requiring just half an hour on high or an hour or two on low.
Leave a Reply
- Homemade Italian Sausage and Spinach Calzone May 7, 2016
- Classic Italian Chicken Saltimbocca April 22, 2016
- Hunter Style Baked Italian Chicken Cacciatore April 6, 2016
- Wild Mushroom Boletus Italian Style Soup April 3, 2016
- Vegetarian Pasta Primavera with Fettuccine March 30, 2016
- Roman Style Saltimbocca Alla Romana with Polenta March 25, 2016
- Classic Italian Dishes – Parmigiana Eggplant March 25, 2016
- Authentic Vegetarian Italian Asparagus Risotto March 23, 2016
- Rotisserie Chicken and Vegetable Risotto March 19, 2016
- Citrus Feta Cheese Risotto with Spinach March 18, 2016
- One of the Best Vegetarian Lasagna Recipes with Ricotta Cheese (404799 Views)
- Home (142307 Views)
- Best Pizza Sauce for Home Made Pizza (65165 Views)
- Crispy Chicken Milanese with Herb (27806 Views)
- Authentic Clams Oreganata (20454 Views)
- The Best Bechamel in the World (14886 Views)
- Authentic Old World Italian Pizza Dough Recipe (13731 Views)
- Lasagna Rollups in the Slow Cooker (11792 Views)
- Just How Far Ahead Can I Make Lasagna (11354 Views)
- Classic Lasagna with Creamy Bechamel Sauce (11334 Views)