Greek Moussaka Ingredient – A Greek Lasagna
If you are looking for a different take on lasagna, then you might want to consider moussaka. This is a delicious meal that uses eggplant in place of the noodles that are often found in lasagna dishes. For many people, this will prove to be a very effective dish to make and it will certainly leave a lasting impression on your family and guests that you share this dish with.
When you are making moussaka, it is important that you keep in mind that you can either make it with strips of eggplant or you can make it in personal sized medallions. What you are going to find is that the medallions you can make are an easier way to focus on proportions and they can make the dish have a classy look as well, which might impress some of your guests.
There is so much flavor that you can put into these dishes and the number of options you have will be left to your imagination. Some people will enjoy replacing the ground beef and use lamb instead. Of course, if you prefer you can keep it strictly vegetarian as well, the choice will be up to you. Just make sure you consider how each of the different flavor combinations will taste when placed in your recipe.
- 2 large eggplants, peeled and cut into ½ inch thick circles
- 1 chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 pound crumbled ground beef
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- Begin by lining the bottom of a greased tray with half of the eggplant medallions that you have cut out. Then place these to the side as you preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- In a pan, mix your cooked beef, spices, garlic, and onion, allowing them to cook for 15 minutes.
- Then slowly mix in your tomatoes and allow the mixture to cook.
- Next, top each of the pieces of eggplant with this mixture then place the second medallion on top. Then place the medallions in the over for 20 minutes.
- Next, remove them from the oven and sprinkle the cheese on each piece equally. Then return the medallions to the oven for another 10 minutes and then serve hot.
The perfectly prepared medallions will be lightly brown with some melted cheese on top. You can serve them several to a plate to ensure that your family gets a sizeable helping that they are going to love. Keep in mind that with this recipe, you can make any adjustments that you may need to for optimum results. When served, consider pairing them with a Greek salad that will incorporate more of the flavors of this style of cooking and ensure that your family has an authentic experience at the same time.
Leave a Reply
- Homemade Italian Sausage and Spinach Calzone May 7, 2016
- Classic Italian Chicken Saltimbocca April 22, 2016
- Hunter Style Baked Italian Chicken Cacciatore April 6, 2016
- Wild Mushroom Boletus Italian Style Soup April 3, 2016
- Vegetarian Pasta Primavera with Fettuccine March 30, 2016
- Roman Style Saltimbocca Alla Romana with Polenta March 25, 2016
- Classic Italian Dishes – Parmigiana Eggplant March 25, 2016
- Authentic Vegetarian Italian Asparagus Risotto March 23, 2016
- Rotisserie Chicken and Vegetable Risotto March 19, 2016
- Citrus Feta Cheese Risotto with Spinach March 18, 2016
- One of the Best Vegetarian Lasagna Recipes with Ricotta Cheese (403227 Views)
- Home (141167 Views)
- Best Pizza Sauce for Home Made Pizza (63503 Views)
- Crispy Chicken Milanese with Herb (27501 Views)
- Authentic Clams Oreganata (20254 Views)
- The Best Bechamel in the World (14802 Views)
- Authentic Old World Italian Pizza Dough Recipe (13621 Views)
- Lasagna Rollups in the Slow Cooker (11737 Views)
- Classic Lasagna with Creamy Bechamel Sauce (11295 Views)
- Just How Far Ahead Can I Make Lasagna (11249 Views)