The Best Bechamel in the World
If the proof is in the pudding, then the sauce is definitely the winning vote in lasagna. Even if you are partial to red sauce, when you try this delicious béchamel, you will enjoy the opportunities that just filled your recipe box. Today many countries have access to refrigeration and ways to preserve foods. Before that time, food spoiled more quickly and did not always taste or smell just right. Both thin and creamy sauces hid the rancid flavor and made the meal look good.
One of the reasons béchamel sauce is so popular it its historic value. It is hard to argue with the culinary skills of French chefs, who have turned béchamel into a separate part of the dish. It does more than add to the flavor of a meal. Béchamel sauce makes its own statement by being delicious even without the main dish it covers. In the beginning, cooks created the sauce with cut vegetables, such as onions, squash and celery, and small bits of meat including beef, pork, and poultry.
The French term “piece de resistance” refers to the best part of any particular item and béchamel sauce creates that response with this incredibly easy recipe. Now the addition of a sauce is typical in many dishes and cooks continually look for ways to vary the taste and make their sauce special. One of the ways to vary a white sauce recipe is to take a small portion as a test section, divide it into smaller portions, and add minimal amounts of spices and herbs. Note what you add to each one and choose the favorite.
- 1 stick butter
- ⅓ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 cups milk
- ½ cup flour
- Warm the milk in a small pan and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a heavy-bottomed pan over low heat.
- Use a whisk to combine the flour with the butter, creating a smooth paste.
- Let it cook a minute or two. Do not brown. Add the milk and mix with the whisk.
- Let the sauce simmer until it thickens.
- Remove the pan from the heat.
- Stir in the nutmeg and the egg yolks.
- If you want the sauce thicker, put the pan back over low heat, stirring until it reaches the texture desired.
It is no surprise that béchamel sauce will change a meal from incredible to incredibly awesome. A truly creative creamy white mixture, it will let your creation be the piece de resistance, whether it is one of our tempting lasagnas dish or another recipe calling for white sauce. A heavy-bottomed pan, a whisk, and a wooden spoon for stirring are elemental tools that make the difference in a lovely sauce as pictured and will produce the result you desire.
2 Responses to The Best Bechamel in the World
Leave a Reply
- Homemade Italian Sausage and Spinach Calzone May 7, 2016
- Classic Italian Chicken Saltimbocca April 22, 2016
- Hunter Style Baked Italian Chicken Cacciatore April 6, 2016
- Wild Mushroom Boletus Italian Style Soup April 3, 2016
- Vegetarian Pasta Primavera with Fettuccine March 30, 2016
- Roman Style Saltimbocca Alla Romana with Polenta March 25, 2016
- Classic Italian Dishes – Parmigiana Eggplant March 25, 2016
- Authentic Vegetarian Italian Asparagus Risotto March 23, 2016
- Rotisserie Chicken and Vegetable Risotto March 19, 2016
- Citrus Feta Cheese Risotto with Spinach March 18, 2016
- One of the Best Vegetarian Lasagna Recipes with Ricotta Cheese (404200 Views)
- Home (141875 Views)
- Best Pizza Sauce for Home Made Pizza (64562 Views)
- Crispy Chicken Milanese with Herb (27674 Views)
- Authentic Clams Oreganata (20399 Views)
- The Best Bechamel in the World (14847 Views)
- Authentic Old World Italian Pizza Dough Recipe (13686 Views)
- Lasagna Rollups in the Slow Cooker (11772 Views)
- Classic Lasagna with Creamy Bechamel Sauce (11319 Views)
- Just How Far Ahead Can I Make Lasagna (11314 Views)