Best Pastitsio Recipe with Veal and Basil
If you are looking for a Mediterranean meal to serve for your next company potluck, a Greek Pastitsio recipe that includes finely chopped meat, spaghetti, and cream is the perfect meal to make. Because this recipe uses canned spaghetti sauce, the preparation time is cut significantly. Instead of a white sauce, the choice is red and with the great variety on the market, it is easy to pick one with herbs, cheese, or meat added for extra flavor. This is a crowd-pleasing meal because it is warm and hearty. The taste is different from other recipes family and guests may have tried, which makes it extra-special.
A tasty dish that all will enjoy, this Mediterranean recipe is delicious served with a fresh green Caesar salad or your favorite type of Greek salad. Perhaps you want to add more vegetables to the meal and freshly steamed vegetables are a great choice, such as steamed bell peppers, corn, or cauliflower. A lovely cut-glass bowl with black and green olives adds a special touch to the table.
Festive meals deserve festive plates, so bring out the splashes of color. Firecracker red, turquoise blue or jet plates add finesse to this delicious meal. If it has been awhile since you have created a centerpiece for the table, this is the perfect time to do so. Dressing up your dinner table with an attractive centerpiece not only adds pizzazz to the setting, it adds a great method of showing off the meal. Bake or buy a large round bread loaf and set it in the center of the table on a pedestal, with grapes and peppers around the base. Celebrate the meal.
- 1 pound veal, chopped into small pieces
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 teaspoon fresh basil
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 pound ziti
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 6 ounces Provolone
- Two 26-ounce jars or cans of spaghetti sauce
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. You will need a 9x13 inch baking pan for this recipe.
- Add enough water to a large saucepan to cover the pasta when added. Sprinkle in a dash of salt and bring the water to a boil over high heat. Carefully add the ziti, boiling for eight minutes. Remove from heat and drain.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Peel and chop the onion, adding it and the veal to the skillet, stirring until the meat browns and the onions have softened.
- Drain any grease from the skillet and add the spaghetti sauce and cinnamon, stirring to combine. Reduce the heat to low and stir now and then to prevent sticking or burning. Let the sauce simmer fifteen minutes.
- Add a layer of non-stick vegetable spray or butter to the sides and bottom of the pan.
- Spoon half of the cooked ziti into the pan and spread it out to form an even layer. Thinly slice the Provolone and put it across the ziti. Scatter the basil across the pasta and spread the sour cream across it, covering it with half the sauce.
- Put the remaining ziti over that layer and add the mozzarella. Pour the remaining sauce across the top and grate the Parmesan cheese across the top.
- Put the pan into the oven for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and let the pan set for 10 minutes before serving.
A beautiful plate of Pastitsio with fresh basil and brightly colored tomatoes on the tabletop brings beauty to this meal prepared for guests or a family dinner. The option of minced veal, cream and a Mediterranean taste is the perfect addition to the dinner table this evening. Featuring the remarkable blend of Greek spices, noodles and minced veal, your guests will rave about the talent, creativity and beauty that you created in your kitchen. This ethnic dish is a good international lesson for the family and the perfect pasta dish for those who enjoy Greek food and fresh herbs.
Leave a Reply
- Homemade Italian Sausage and Spinach Calzone May 7, 2016
- Classic Italian Chicken Saltimbocca April 22, 2016
- Hunter Style Baked Italian Chicken Cacciatore April 6, 2016
- Wild Mushroom Boletus Italian Style Soup April 3, 2016
- Vegetarian Pasta Primavera with Fettuccine March 30, 2016
- Roman Style Saltimbocca Alla Romana with Polenta March 25, 2016
- Classic Italian Dishes – Parmigiana Eggplant March 25, 2016
- Authentic Vegetarian Italian Asparagus Risotto March 23, 2016
- Rotisserie Chicken and Vegetable Risotto March 19, 2016
- Citrus Feta Cheese Risotto with Spinach March 18, 2016
- One of the Best Vegetarian Lasagna Recipes with Ricotta Cheese (410882 Views)
- Home (146759 Views)
- Best Pizza Sauce for Home Made Pizza (70676 Views)
- Crispy Chicken Milanese with Herb (29047 Views)
- Authentic Clams Oreganata (21297 Views)
- The Best Bechamel in the World (15166 Views)
- Authentic Old World Italian Pizza Dough Recipe (14169 Views)
- Lasagna Rollups in the Slow Cooker (11950 Views)
- Just How Far Ahead Can I Make Lasagna (11761 Views)
- Classic Lasagna with Creamy Bechamel Sauce (11515 Views)