Round Chicken Lasagna with Mushrooms and Ricotta
A round lasagna makes an interesting change from a rectangular one. The lasagna itself is based on an authentic lasagna recipe but the shape is different. If you enjoy making new takes on old classics, you might like to try out this flavorful round lasagna recipe. Containing chicken, mushrooms, three kinds of cheese, spinach and more, this offers you a hearty and full-flavored meal.
If you prefer to make this in the traditional shape by all means go ahead, but a round lasagna is more unusual. You will not waste any of the trimmed-off lasagna noodles (obviously these noodles are rectangular) because you can use them to fill in the gaps and you can use several noodles or pieces of noodles in one layer of the lasagna.
This is an unusual dish, not only because of the shape but also because of the ingredients. Rather than a tomato-based sauce, we are going to use cherry tomatoes in the lasagna and use a creamy pasta sauce between the layers. If you can find a white sauce which is flavored with mushrooms that is the best one to go for. It really complements the chicken and mushrooms. You will need a small jar or about two thirds of a medium-size one.
- 1 package lasagna noodles
- 1 egg
- 1 ½ cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 ½ lbs chopped chicken breast
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup parmesan
- 15 oz ricotta cheese
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 handfuls baby spinach
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 jar creamy mushroom pasta sauce (or similar)
- Fresh parsley, to garnish
- Nonstick spray oil, as needed
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Sauté the chicken in ⅓ of the olive oil in a skillet until it is browned all over.
- Transfer it to a bowl and wipe out the skillet.
- Heat the remaining olive oil in the skillet over a moderate heat, and then add the mushrooms and garlic.
- Cook for 5 minutes or until the mushrooms are soft.
- Add ½ the spinach and let it wilt for a minute before adding the second handful.
- Transfer the spinach and mushroom mixture to a bowl and stir in the basil, the browned chicken, and half the cherry tomatoes.
- Combine the egg with ⅔ of the parmesan, all the ricotta cheese and the salt and pepper.
- Cook the lasagna noodles according to the directions on the package, then drain them and let them cool.
- Lay a few strips in one direction on a plate, then a few more in the opposite direction and so on until you have used them all.
- Use foil to coat a cookie sheet.
- Spritz some nonstick oil on a spring-form pan and put this on the cookie sheet.
- Coat the bottom of the pan with a little of the creamy sauce from the jar (about ½ cup).
- Make a layer of lasagna noodles in the pan using 2 noodles and trim the edges.
- Keep the trimmed parts for filling in the gaps.
- Top the noodles with half the chicken mixture, some of the sauce and some of the mozzarella.
- Repeat twice, until you have used all the filling, sauce, and noodles, finishing with a layer of noodles.
- Depending on the size of your jar of sauce you might not need it all.
- Sprinkle with ½ of the remaining parmesan and bake for 45 minutes.
- Let the lasagna rest for 5 minutes then transfer it to a big platter.
- Run a knife around the outside of the lasagna and lift off the outside of the pan.
- Garnish with the remaining parmesan, the rest of the cherry tomatoes and the parsley.
Using round pasta noodles (even if you have to cut them that way yourself) makes a change from using rectangular ones. The main different between this lasagna pie recipe and a regular lasagna is its shape, as you can see for yourself, although another difference would be the lighter flavor in this one which you get by swapping ground beef for chicken and the tomato-based sauce you usually use for a creamy mushroom pasta sauce. You can use mini spring-form pans if you want to make individual lasagnas or one 9 inch one if you want to make one lasagna to cut into servings.
Leave a Reply
- Homemade Italian Sausage and Spinach Calzone May 7, 2016
- Classic Italian Chicken Saltimbocca April 22, 2016
- Hunter Style Baked Italian Chicken Cacciatore April 6, 2016
- Wild Mushroom Boletus Italian Style Soup April 3, 2016
- Vegetarian Pasta Primavera with Fettuccine March 30, 2016
- Roman Style Saltimbocca Alla Romana with Polenta March 25, 2016
- Classic Italian Dishes – Parmigiana Eggplant March 25, 2016
- Authentic Vegetarian Italian Asparagus Risotto March 23, 2016
- Rotisserie Chicken and Vegetable Risotto March 19, 2016
- Citrus Feta Cheese Risotto with Spinach March 18, 2016
- One of the Best Vegetarian Lasagna Recipes with Ricotta Cheese (410882 Views)
- Home (146759 Views)
- Best Pizza Sauce for Home Made Pizza (70676 Views)
- Crispy Chicken Milanese with Herb (29047 Views)
- Authentic Clams Oreganata (21297 Views)
- The Best Bechamel in the World (15166 Views)
- Authentic Old World Italian Pizza Dough Recipe (14169 Views)
- Lasagna Rollups in the Slow Cooker (11950 Views)
- Just How Far Ahead Can I Make Lasagna (11761 Views)
- Classic Lasagna with Creamy Bechamel Sauce (11515 Views)