Traditional Greek Food Moussaka
The Greek food moussaka can be a great choice for those looking for a unique meal. These dishes use eggplant in place of your traditional lasagna noodles to create a dish that is going to be good for you and still taste amazing. For those who are looking for a delicious meal to create for dinner, this is going to prove to be one of the best choices you will have.
One of the biggest variations that people focus on with these items is the filling that is placed in them. What you are going to find is that you can change vegetables out and even change the style of meat that goes into these dishes for a dish that will meet the needs of everyone in your family. Just keep in mind that you need to focus on what you are putting in the dish and consider the flavor and texture that will be attached to them at the same time.
No matter what you come up with, these are going to be hearty dishes that are filled with vitamins and nutrition. That makes them a sound choice for those who are considering making their family a meal that they can enjoy without too much concern. Here is a Greek moussaka recipe that you can adjust as needed to suit the taste of your family.
- 4 cups eggplant
- 1 pound ground, crumbled lamb
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup cream
- 1 egg
- 1 cup parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- When that is done, grease the pan you are using and begin to line the track with pieces of eggplant. Sprinkle a little salt and pepper on each piece and add olive oil if you would like. This will give them extra flavor.
- Next, in a pan mix your lamb, onions, garlic, and oregano together until it is cooked. Then mix in your tomato sauce and add salt and pepper to taste. Then place this mixture on top of the eggplant you have laid in the pan.
- You will then need to make your sauce. Melt your butter and whisk in your flower and adjust the salt and pepper to your taste.
- Then slowly mix in the cream you have until you have a thick mixture. From here, you will blend in the egg and allow the sauce to slightly thicken more, and then add in your parmesan cheese.
- When this is done, you will want to bake the moussaka in the oven for 45 minutes.
This is a hearty dish that you can serve in generous proportions. A good idea may be to combine it with some olives and some romaine tomatoes that you have soaked in some olive oil and vinegar to create a complimentary set of flavors that your family will really notice and they are going to look amazing on your plate at the same time.
Leave a Reply
- Homemade Italian Sausage and Spinach Calzone May 7, 2016
- Classic Italian Chicken Saltimbocca April 22, 2016
- Hunter Style Baked Italian Chicken Cacciatore April 6, 2016
- Wild Mushroom Boletus Italian Style Soup April 3, 2016
- Vegetarian Pasta Primavera with Fettuccine March 30, 2016
- Roman Style Saltimbocca Alla Romana with Polenta March 25, 2016
- Classic Italian Dishes – Parmigiana Eggplant March 25, 2016
- Authentic Vegetarian Italian Asparagus Risotto March 23, 2016
- Rotisserie Chicken and Vegetable Risotto March 19, 2016
- Citrus Feta Cheese Risotto with Spinach March 18, 2016
- One of the Best Vegetarian Lasagna Recipes with Ricotta Cheese (410882 Views)
- Home (146759 Views)
- Best Pizza Sauce for Home Made Pizza (70676 Views)
- Crispy Chicken Milanese with Herb (29047 Views)
- Authentic Clams Oreganata (21297 Views)
- The Best Bechamel in the World (15166 Views)
- Authentic Old World Italian Pizza Dough Recipe (14169 Views)
- Lasagna Rollups in the Slow Cooker (11950 Views)
- Just How Far Ahead Can I Make Lasagna (11761 Views)
- Classic Lasagna with Creamy Bechamel Sauce (11515 Views)