Spaghetti with Black Truffle Sauce
Known as ‘trifolati’ in the Umbrian dialect, truffles add a touch of sophistication to any dish. The following recipe is a classic Italian dish which is known locally as ‘spaghetti al tartufi neri’ or spaghetti with black truffles. This is a lovely dish to make if you are having a dinner party and want to impress everyone without having to make something complicated or use a lot of different ingredients.
This recipe can be made with fresh truffles, if you can get them, otherwise use canned ones or even truffle paste. If you are using the first option, wash the truffles in lukewarm water, then use a brush to clean them. You can then slice them really thin using a truffle slicer or sharp knife. A box cheese grater would also work. For the tastiest result, soak the truffle slices in extra-virgin olive oil for 24 hours before proceeding with this dish.
Alternatively just use the black truffle paste you can get in a jar for a result which works quite well but perhaps lacking the finesse of using fresh truffles. You will not need to do any soaking if you use truffle paste. The truffle slices are soaked in oil and then while the spaghetti is cooking you can prepare the sauce. The garlic is sautéed to make it aromatic and soft, then this is combined with the truffle slices and spaghetti to make a simple yet exquisite dish, which is nice served with freshly grated hard cheese on the side, either pecorino or parmesan.
- 1 lb spaghetti
- 2 finely sliced black truffles
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- ⅔ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Grated parmesan or pecorino cheese, to serve
- Pour extra-virgin olive oil over the truffle slices.
- Cover them with plastic wrap and leave them at room temperature for a few hours, or overnight if you can.
- Bring a big pot of salted water to a boil and cook the spaghetti following the directions on the package.
- While the spaghetti cooks, heat 2 tablespoons of the marinating oil in a skillet.
- Add the garlic and sauté it until soft.
- Do not let it brown.
- Turn the heat off and stir in the truffles and remaining oil.
- Drain the spaghetti and keep 2 tablespoons of the cooking water.
- Put the drained spaghetti and 2 tablespoons of cooking water in the skillet with the truffles.
- Turn the heat to low and gently reheat the dish, stirring in some salt.
- Serve immediately with grated cheese on the side if you like.
Spaghetti, truffles, extra-virgin olive oil, and garlic combine to make this elegant recipe. Choose from fresh truffle slices, truffle paste (like you can see in the photo) or canned truffles, and enjoy their unique flavor. This is a very simple dish and you need surprisingly few ingredients, but the end flavor is just amazing. Serve this hot with cheese on the side, and perhaps a simple salad too. This is a famous dish in Italy, and it is sure to bring plenty of undeniable Italian style to your dinner table. Who says gourmet dishes have to be difficult to make? This recipe proves some classic dishes are really easy.
Leave a Reply
- Homemade Italian Sausage and Spinach Calzone May 7, 2016
- Classic Italian Chicken Saltimbocca April 22, 2016
- Hunter Style Baked Italian Chicken Cacciatore April 6, 2016
- Wild Mushroom Boletus Italian Style Soup April 3, 2016
- Vegetarian Pasta Primavera with Fettuccine March 30, 2016
- Roman Style Saltimbocca Alla Romana with Polenta March 25, 2016
- Classic Italian Dishes – Parmigiana Eggplant March 25, 2016
- Authentic Vegetarian Italian Asparagus Risotto March 23, 2016
- Rotisserie Chicken and Vegetable Risotto March 19, 2016
- Citrus Feta Cheese Risotto with Spinach March 18, 2016
- One of the Best Vegetarian Lasagna Recipes with Ricotta Cheese (404501 Views)
- Home (142076 Views)
- Best Pizza Sauce for Home Made Pizza (64877 Views)
- Crispy Chicken Milanese with Herb (27742 Views)
- Authentic Clams Oreganata (20426 Views)
- The Best Bechamel in the World (14868 Views)
- Authentic Old World Italian Pizza Dough Recipe (13707 Views)
- Lasagna Rollups in the Slow Cooker (11782 Views)
- Just How Far Ahead Can I Make Lasagna (11333 Views)
- Classic Lasagna with Creamy Bechamel Sauce (11326 Views)