Pasta with a Creamy Low-Fat Sauce
This unusual recipe might appeal if you want a creamy pasta dish but you do not want to have too much fat or too many calories. There are various types of Greek yogurt on the market you can use in this dish, including 0% fat varieties, so take your pick from those, stir in some horseradish for a spicy kick, and use that as your sauce. Add peas and ham, and you will have the most delicious meal.
You can make this from scratch in about 10 minutes, making it a winning dish in every way. You can either toss all the sauce ingredients with the pasta or else serve the pasta with the sauce ladled on top for perhaps a prettier presentation. Greek yogurt does not have the exact same flavor or texture as you would get from cream, but it is a perfectly acceptable substitute, offering a creamy texture, a pleasant savory tang, and very low fat, which means a much lower calorie count in the finished dish.
Perhaps you are looking for healthy pasta recipes, or it could be you have some yogurt to use up, or you are just in the mood for a creamy dish which is not too sinful. Whichever is the case, this recipe is ideal, and it is the kind of dish you can adapt, perhaps next time swapping the ham for chicken or even shrimp. Swap the peas for cooked leeks, corn or mushrooms, or consider adding a pinch of mixed dried herbs to the meal for a fragrant touch. You will be pleasantly surprised at the result of this dish.
- 6 oz penne
- 3½ oz frozen peas
- 2 teaspoons horseradish sauce
- 4½ oz chopped cooked ham
- 3 tablespoons fat-free Greek yogurt
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Cook the pasta following the instructions on the package.
- Add the peas during the 3 last minutes of cooking.
- Stir the horseradish sauce and yogurt with some salt and black pepper to taste.
- Drain the cooked pasta and peas.
- Return it to the pan and stir in the ham and the yogurt sauce.
- Cook for 1 minute or until the sauce is warm, then serve immediately.
Perfect as a tasty meal for two, this pasta features a horseradish and yogurt sauce which offers both creaminess and a rich tang with a hint of spice. Ham and peas star in this dish, adding color and texture, and you can either toss all the ingredients together or serve the sauce over the pasta like you can see in the photo. Either way is good. Add some Italian red wine and perhaps an Italian dessert, and you have the makings of a wonderful Italian meal which is perfect for sharing.
Leave a Reply
- Homemade Italian Sausage and Spinach Calzone May 7, 2016
- Classic Italian Chicken Saltimbocca April 22, 2016
- Hunter Style Baked Italian Chicken Cacciatore April 6, 2016
- Wild Mushroom Boletus Italian Style Soup April 3, 2016
- Vegetarian Pasta Primavera with Fettuccine March 30, 2016
- Roman Style Saltimbocca Alla Romana with Polenta March 25, 2016
- Classic Italian Dishes – Parmigiana Eggplant March 25, 2016
- Authentic Vegetarian Italian Asparagus Risotto March 23, 2016
- Rotisserie Chicken and Vegetable Risotto March 19, 2016
- Citrus Feta Cheese Risotto with Spinach March 18, 2016
- One of the Best Vegetarian Lasagna Recipes with Ricotta Cheese (404501 Views)
- Home (142076 Views)
- Best Pizza Sauce for Home Made Pizza (64873 Views)
- Crispy Chicken Milanese with Herb (27742 Views)
- Authentic Clams Oreganata (20426 Views)
- The Best Bechamel in the World (14868 Views)
- Authentic Old World Italian Pizza Dough Recipe (13707 Views)
- Lasagna Rollups in the Slow Cooker (11782 Views)
- Just How Far Ahead Can I Make Lasagna (11333 Views)
- Classic Lasagna with Creamy Bechamel Sauce (11326 Views)