Port Wine Glazed Ravioli with Oxtail
This recipe takes some time to put together, but it is well worth it. This is not the kind of meal you will want to make as a weeknight dish for the family, but something more suitable for a dinner party or special occasion. Rather than using pasta we are using wonton wrappers. You can find those in the grocery store near the tofu.
Wonton wrappers are a nice alternative to fresh pasta when making homemade ravioli because not only is the dough thin and light, but when it cooks you will have a gorgeous translucence and a nice silky texture. Feel free to use sheets of pasta though if you want to make this the authentic way. The ravioli filling is oxtail and vegetables, which are flavored with tomato, garlic and herbs, and while your ravioli are simmering, you can prepare the glaze, which is a mixture of chicken stock, butter, port wine, and even a little foie gras if you really want to make this an indulgent meal.
Served as a main dish this will serve 12 people, but if you want to feed 24 as an appetizer you can serve half-portions of it. Alternatively just halve the recipe if you have a smaller gathering. This might seem like a daunting recipe if you are not used to preparing such dishes, but gather your ingredients, take your time, and the results will really delight you and impress whoever you make it for.
- ¾ lb oxtail
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 package wonton wrappers
- ½ cup canola oil
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 2 chopped garlic cloves
- 3 cups veal stock
- ½ cup finely diced carrots
- ¼ cup finely diced celery
- ½ cup finely diced yellow onion
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Chopped fresh tomatoes and/or parsley sprigs, for garnish
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ¾ cup port wine
- 4 oz foie gras (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 365 degrees F.
- Heat the canola oil in a pan over a medium-high heat.
- Sear the oxtail in there all over until browned, then remove it from the pan.
- Put the vegetables in the pan and cook for a couple of minutes until they are tender.
- Stir in the garlic, tomato paste, rosemary and thyme.
- Put the oxtail back in the pan and pour in the veal stock.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then cover the pan.
- Transfer the covered pan into the oven and cook for 3½ hours or until the meat is falling off the bone.
- Strip the meat from the bones and season it.
- Discard the bones.
- Strain the cooking liquid then simmer to reduce it by half.
- Put the shredded meat back in the liquid and add some salt and black pepper.
- Use a tablespoon or 2 of this mixture to fill each wonton wrapper.
- Moisten the edges of the wonton wrapper and pinch them closed, squeezing out any air.
- Bring a big pot of water to a boil.
- Cook the ravioli in batches in the simmering water for 3 minutes or until done, then ladle them into 12 bowls.
- White the ravioli is cooking, you can prepare the glaze.
- Put the butter, chicken stock, and foie gras (if using) in a pan, and reduce this mixture until the liquid is thick.
- Pour in the port wine and keep reducing until you have a glaze.
- Pour this over the oxtail ravioli and serve right away garnished with chopped tomato and/or parsley.
This gourmet oxtail ravioli makes a spectacular entrée and your dinner guests will remember it for all the right reasons. You can see from the photo how fresh and appetizing this looks, as well as how much charm and color the parsley and tomato add to the finished dish. The ravioli are made with wonton wrappers and you can either fold them over to make triangles, put one atop another to make large squares, or even use a ravioli press to crimp the edges. Homemade ravioli is one of the tastiest pasta dishes you can make, and oxtail makes a perfect, rich-tasting filling.
Leave a Reply
- Homemade Italian Sausage and Spinach Calzone May 7, 2016
- Classic Italian Chicken Saltimbocca April 22, 2016
- Hunter Style Baked Italian Chicken Cacciatore April 6, 2016
- Wild Mushroom Boletus Italian Style Soup April 3, 2016
- Vegetarian Pasta Primavera with Fettuccine March 30, 2016
- Roman Style Saltimbocca Alla Romana with Polenta March 25, 2016
- Classic Italian Dishes – Parmigiana Eggplant March 25, 2016
- Authentic Vegetarian Italian Asparagus Risotto March 23, 2016
- Rotisserie Chicken and Vegetable Risotto March 19, 2016
- Citrus Feta Cheese Risotto with Spinach March 18, 2016
- One of the Best Vegetarian Lasagna Recipes with Ricotta Cheese (404200 Views)
- Home (141875 Views)
- Best Pizza Sauce for Home Made Pizza (64562 Views)
- Crispy Chicken Milanese with Herb (27672 Views)
- Authentic Clams Oreganata (20399 Views)
- The Best Bechamel in the World (14845 Views)
- Authentic Old World Italian Pizza Dough Recipe (13684 Views)
- Lasagna Rollups in the Slow Cooker (11772 Views)
- Classic Lasagna with Creamy Bechamel Sauce (11317 Views)
- Just How Far Ahead Can I Make Lasagna (11314 Views)