Barbequed Chicken Pizza with Onions
This barbeque chicken pizza recipe features cilantro and onions to give a tart, bright flavor. The pizza crust is coated with a flavorful barbecue sauce, instead of the traditional tomato or white sauce, and then topped with red onions, cilantro, mozzarella, and additional barbeque sauce. It has been an American favorite ever since it was introduced in the mid 1980s, and now you can make it at home.
Using a readymade pizza crust or your favorite prebaked recipe can help cut down on prep time. Use your favorite barbecue sauce, and do not be afraid to experiment a little with different kinds. This recipe is a lot of fun to customize!
If you make it exactly like the recipe details though, you can expect a really nice result. You do not need a lot of different ingredients either. The barbeque chicken, mozzarella and onion are all you need for a hearty flavor, and some cilantro to garnish the pizza also works nicely, with the aromatic flavor of it contrasting with the rich taste of the barbeque sauce.
This is a very quick pizza to put together, especially if you are using a readymade crust. Choose a smoky type of sauce if you like, or a sweet one. Some BBQ sauces are quite spicy, so consider something like Sweet Baby Ray’s Barbecue Sauce ® if you want sweetness, smokiness and a bit of a spicy kick, all in one. Swap the cilantro for basil if you wish. That would taste just as good.
- 2 cups meat from rotisserie roasted chicken, shredded
- ½ cup of your favorite barbecue sauce, divided
- 1 readymade pizza crust or your favorite crust recipe
- 1 ¼ cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 small red onion, sliced thinly
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- Adjust oven rack to its lowest position.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, toss the shredded chicken with ¼ cup of your preferred barbecue sauce.
- Stretch crust on baking sheet and spread barbecue sauce evenly over crust.
- Sprinkle with cheese, chicken, and onion, and then bake until cheese melts and pizza becomes crisp - about fifteen to twenty minutes.
- Sprinkle with cilantro leaves and serve in wedges.
Sometimes the simplest pizza recipes turn out to be the nicest ones, so consider making this pizza which is topped with BBQ chicken, red onion and cheese, and garnished with fragrant cilantro. In the picture you can see a very thin and crispy crust, but this recipe would also be good for pan pizza. The cooking time might be a bit longer for a thicker crust though. The photo shows the visual appeal of the pizza and this colorful treat is sure to whet your appetite after just one glimpse. The BBQ sauce makes a change from tomato sauce and the soft chicken, crunchy onion and creamy cheese contrast nicely when combined.
Leave a Reply
- Homemade Italian Sausage and Spinach Calzone May 7, 2016
- Classic Italian Chicken Saltimbocca April 22, 2016
- Hunter Style Baked Italian Chicken Cacciatore April 6, 2016
- Wild Mushroom Boletus Italian Style Soup April 3, 2016
- Vegetarian Pasta Primavera with Fettuccine March 30, 2016
- Roman Style Saltimbocca Alla Romana with Polenta March 25, 2016
- Classic Italian Dishes – Parmigiana Eggplant March 25, 2016
- Authentic Vegetarian Italian Asparagus Risotto March 23, 2016
- Rotisserie Chicken and Vegetable Risotto March 19, 2016
- Citrus Feta Cheese Risotto with Spinach March 18, 2016
- One of the Best Vegetarian Lasagna Recipes with Ricotta Cheese (410880 Views)
- Home (146758 Views)
- Best Pizza Sauce for Home Made Pizza (70676 Views)
- Crispy Chicken Milanese with Herb (29047 Views)
- Authentic Clams Oreganata (21297 Views)
- The Best Bechamel in the World (15166 Views)
- Authentic Old World Italian Pizza Dough Recipe (14169 Views)
- Lasagna Rollups in the Slow Cooker (11950 Views)
- Just How Far Ahead Can I Make Lasagna (11761 Views)
- Classic Lasagna with Creamy Bechamel Sauce (11515 Views)