Langallo – Traditional Hungarian Pizza
If you would like an alternative to your usual pizza, you may wish to consider trying this interesting traditional Hungarian dish. It is relatively simple, and creates a tasty and unusual dish. Like many Hungarian recipes, this one uses a number of different high fat ingredients.
Some, like the milk and sour cream, can be substituted with lower fat versions. Others, such as the egg and butter, should be included as is. Anyone who wants to try something a little different should try this Hungarian pizza. It has been made in Hungary for years, but most people outside the country do not know about it. An egg crust and dill and bacon flavors make this a really unique approach to pizza.
If you are more accustomed to tomato sauce-topped pizzas with pepperoni and mozzarella, this one is a real change of pace. Making the dough is the first step when preparing this Hungarian pizza. Ingredients like milk, butter and egg might not feature in the pizza crust recipes you have made before, but they work perfectly in this recipe, giving the crust a rich flavor and a soft, slightly chewy texture.
The dough is shaped into a crust and baked for a few minutes, and then you can add an aromatic dill and sour cream mixture as your sauce. Finish off with crispy bacon and enjoy this tasty Hungarian style pizza. You will find the flavors well-balanced and although there are not many toppings, just the dill, cream and bacon in fact, those ingredients work in perfect harmony to offer plenty of delicious appeal in every bite. Something else to consider is making it ‘4 Seasons’ style like in the photo where half the pizza is topped with the bacon, 1 quarter is topped with cheese only, and another is topped with sausage. Get creative and enjoy this Eastern European take on pizza, one of Italy’s most iconic foods.
- ½ cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 package active dry yeast
- ½ cup warm water
- 2 ¼ cups all purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups sour cream
- 6 tablespoons fresh, chopped dill weed (or 2 tablespoons of dry dill)
- 6 strips of bacon, cooked until crisp
- Proof yeast in warm water.
- In a saucepan, bring milk to a boil, and then remove from stove immediately. Add butter, sugar, and salt to hot milk and transfer to a large bowl. Beat in egg and add proofed yeast. Stir in flour a little at a time until the mixture is too thick for additional stirring. Using clean hands, finish mixing the dough. Cover the bowl with a clean dish cloth and allow to rest fifteen minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Lightly grease a pizza pan or cookie sheet.
- Press dough into greased pan and bake for five minutes, and then remove. Combine sour cream and dill, and then spread crust with this mixture. Return to oven and bake ten additional minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle with bacon bits. Allow to cool five minutes before slicing.
Hungary is not the first country to come to mind when thinking about pizza. You will probably think of Italy first, and then your mind might drift to Chicago or New York, or whichever city is home to your favorite pizza style. These are often variations on a theme though, and most pizzas are of the tomato-sauce and cheese topping variety. There is nothing wrong with those, and most of us love them, but how about if you are in the mood for a whole new flavor experience? In that case the answer is this Hungarian pizza, or langalló as it is known there, which is topped with dill and sour cream as well as crispy bacon. One slice of this tantalizing dish is sure to leave you feeling ‘Hungary’ for more!
One Response to Langallo – Traditional Hungarian Pizza
Leave a Reply
- Homemade Italian Sausage and Spinach Calzone May 7, 2016
- Classic Italian Chicken Saltimbocca April 22, 2016
- Hunter Style Baked Italian Chicken Cacciatore April 6, 2016
- Wild Mushroom Boletus Italian Style Soup April 3, 2016
- Vegetarian Pasta Primavera with Fettuccine March 30, 2016
- Roman Style Saltimbocca Alla Romana with Polenta March 25, 2016
- Classic Italian Dishes – Parmigiana Eggplant March 25, 2016
- Authentic Vegetarian Italian Asparagus Risotto March 23, 2016
- Rotisserie Chicken and Vegetable Risotto March 19, 2016
- Citrus Feta Cheese Risotto with Spinach March 18, 2016
- One of the Best Vegetarian Lasagna Recipes with Ricotta Cheese (404200 Views)
- Home (141874 Views)
- Best Pizza Sauce for Home Made Pizza (64562 Views)
- Crispy Chicken Milanese with Herb (27672 Views)
- Authentic Clams Oreganata (20399 Views)
- The Best Bechamel in the World (14845 Views)
- Authentic Old World Italian Pizza Dough Recipe (13684 Views)
- Lasagna Rollups in the Slow Cooker (11772 Views)
- Classic Lasagna with Creamy Bechamel Sauce (11317 Views)
- Just How Far Ahead Can I Make Lasagna (11314 Views)