Meatball Filled Double Crust Pizza with Pepperoni
This pepperoni pizza is a combination between a pizza and a pie, since two layers of dough are used. This recipe for pepperoni pizza contains two kinds of cheese, oregano, pizza sauce and the turkey meatballs give it a meatball sliders pizza flavor. Turkey pepperoni is also used to finish it off nicely.
If you want, you can use regular meatballs and normal pepperoni but the turkey flavored ones are pretty good too. If you are bored with tomato and cheese pizzas, why not try this recipe for pepperoni pizza? It is deliciously different and very tasty. Do not forget to make slits in the top of the pizza pie so the steam can escape.
A pizza pie made by doubling over the dough or using 2 crusts instead of one is something you can do if you crave the Italian appeal and flavor of pizza but you fancy something a little different. Rather than make calzone, which is an individual pastry crust containing a filling, and usually serves just one person, this recipe makes a pizza pie which can be sliced into wedges and makes enough to serve a number of people.
The filling is not seen until the pie is cut into slices, so you do not have to make it looks as elaborate as perhaps you would if you were making a regular pizza and the toppings were visible. You can change the ingredients in this recipe if you want, making it suit your own palate. The ingredients we have suggested though are authentically Italian and very tasty indeed.
- 2 lbs pizza dough
- 12 oz cooked turkey meatballs, sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ cup turkey pepperoni
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 2 cups shredded Italian cheese blend
- ⅔ cup pizza sauce
- Cooking spray
- All purpose flour, as needed
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Grease a 12 inch pizza pan with the cooking spray.
- Roll half the dough out to make a 12 inch round on a floured board.
- Fit it into the pizza pan. Spread the pizza sauce over the dough, leaving the outer half inch free.
- Sprinkle a cup of the cheese blend over the crust and then the oregano.
- Add the turkey meatball slices and sprinkle the rest of the cheese over them.
- Add the ricotta and then the pepperoni.
- Roll the rest of the dough out to make another 12 inch round and use this to top the pizza, lining the edges up to match.
- Crimp the pizza edges together to make a pie, and then cut some slits into the top.
- Bake until the crust is browned. This will take about 25 minutes.
- Let the pizza rest for 10 minutes then slice and serve.
A pizza with 2 crusts makes a change from the typical pizza you might be more familiar with, and it does make a very tasty change. Not that you can see it in the photo, but this one is generously filled with turkey meatballs, ricotta cheese, pepperoni, cheese, and more. Cut the finished pizza pie into wedges to serve, and enjoy all the amazing flavors. You can either make a half moon shape like in the photo or a round one, as you prefer. If the crust is your favorite part of a homemade pizza this recipe offers a double helping of it.
Leave a Reply
- Homemade Italian Sausage and Spinach Calzone May 7, 2016
- Classic Italian Chicken Saltimbocca April 22, 2016
- Hunter Style Baked Italian Chicken Cacciatore April 6, 2016
- Wild Mushroom Boletus Italian Style Soup April 3, 2016
- Vegetarian Pasta Primavera with Fettuccine March 30, 2016
- Roman Style Saltimbocca Alla Romana with Polenta March 25, 2016
- Classic Italian Dishes – Parmigiana Eggplant March 25, 2016
- Authentic Vegetarian Italian Asparagus Risotto March 23, 2016
- Rotisserie Chicken and Vegetable Risotto March 19, 2016
- Citrus Feta Cheese Risotto with Spinach March 18, 2016
- One of the Best Vegetarian Lasagna Recipes with Ricotta Cheese (410774 Views)
- Home (146725 Views)
- Best Pizza Sauce for Home Made Pizza (70616 Views)
- Crispy Chicken Milanese with Herb (29037 Views)
- Authentic Clams Oreganata (21289 Views)
- The Best Bechamel in the World (15162 Views)
- Authentic Old World Italian Pizza Dough Recipe (14165 Views)
- Lasagna Rollups in the Slow Cooker (11950 Views)
- Just How Far Ahead Can I Make Lasagna (11760 Views)
- Classic Lasagna with Creamy Bechamel Sauce (11515 Views)