Spicy Italian Sausage Pizza with Pepperoni
This is a delicious and rich tasting pepperoni and sausage pizza. The sharp saltiness of the pepperoni contrasts beautifully with the spiciness of the sausage. Try to use real Italian sausage in this sausage and pepperoni pizza recipe because Italian sausage contains fennel seeds, which taste really good.
The onion and tomatoes add flavor. There is no pizza sauce used in this pizza recipe and, in fact, a lot of authentic Italian pizza recipes use fresh chopped tomatoes rather than a thick, sweet pizza sauce for a more natural flavor. Fresh tomatoes, which we are going to use in this pizza recipe, also go very nicely with the Italian sausage.
Get the oven nice and hot and this will help to crisp up the crust. Because you are using cooked toppings you really only want to brown the crust in the oven and melt the cheese, as well as heat through your toppings, so if your oven reaches 500 degrees F that is great, but 450 degrees F will also work if that is as hot as it gets. The pizza stone you are using needs to be heated up in the oven for half an hour, so you can take that time preparing your toppings.
Sausage, onion and red pepper are sautéed together, then these go on the pizza along with cheese and tomatoes. The pizza will only take about 8 minutes to cook, and you will be able to see when it is done because it will be golden brown and very hot. If you do not have a pizza stone you can make this in a pizza pan.
- 10 inch prepared pizza crust
- 1 ½ teaspoons olive oil
- 4 oz spicy sausage
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ red onion, in thin vertical slices
- ⅔ cup tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 oz fresh parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 oz mozzarella
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 3 oz pepperoni
- Place a pizza stone on the lowest rack in the oven and preheat it to 500 degrees F.
- Preheat the pizza stone for 30 minutes before cooking the pizza.
- Heat the oil in a non-stick skillet over a medium high heat and cook the pepper for 10 seconds.
- Remove the sausage meat from the casings and add the sausage and onion to the skillet. Sauté for 4 minutes or until browned, stirring well to crumble the sausage.
- Add the salt and tomato.
- Cook for 2 minutes, and then remove from the heat.
- Sprinkle the mozzarella over the dough, leaving a ½ inch border.
- Arrange the pepperoni slices over the top, followed by the sausage mixture.
- Slide the dough on to the preheated pizza stone.
- Bake for 8 minutes or until the crust is golden.
- Remove the pizza from the oven and sprinkle the parmesan over the top.
- Cut into 6 wedges and serve.
Look at this picture and what do you see first? That’s right – a generous amount of meat piled on top of pizza, and that is definitely the way to please your meat-loving family on pizza night. As well as the spicy sausage and pepperoni this pizza includes ingredients like cheese, red onion and tomatoes, for a hearty and well-rounded result. This pizza can be cut into 8 slices if you are having various side dishes, but by itself it would be better to serve 6 so everyone has a nice-sized slice of this meaty and delicious homemade pizza.
Leave a Reply
- Homemade Italian Sausage and Spinach Calzone May 7, 2016
- Classic Italian Chicken Saltimbocca April 22, 2016
- Hunter Style Baked Italian Chicken Cacciatore April 6, 2016
- Wild Mushroom Boletus Italian Style Soup April 3, 2016
- Vegetarian Pasta Primavera with Fettuccine March 30, 2016
- Roman Style Saltimbocca Alla Romana with Polenta March 25, 2016
- Classic Italian Dishes – Parmigiana Eggplant March 25, 2016
- Authentic Vegetarian Italian Asparagus Risotto March 23, 2016
- Rotisserie Chicken and Vegetable Risotto March 19, 2016
- Citrus Feta Cheese Risotto with Spinach March 18, 2016
- One of the Best Vegetarian Lasagna Recipes with Ricotta Cheese (404799 Views)
- Home (142306 Views)
- Best Pizza Sauce for Home Made Pizza (65165 Views)
- Crispy Chicken Milanese with Herb (27806 Views)
- Authentic Clams Oreganata (20454 Views)
- The Best Bechamel in the World (14886 Views)
- Authentic Old World Italian Pizza Dough Recipe (13731 Views)
- Lasagna Rollups in the Slow Cooker (11790 Views)
- Just How Far Ahead Can I Make Lasagna (11354 Views)
- Classic Lasagna with Creamy Bechamel Sauce (11334 Views)