Greek Pizza Crust
Greek pizza crust has its own individual taste, thanks to the Greek oregano. For an authentic Greek pizza, you should layer the Greek pizza crust with layers of Manouri and mozzarella cheese, then mushrooms, broccoli, onion, thinly sliced Roma tomatoes, Calamato olives, and Greek bell peppers.
Sprinkle the pizza with thinly sliced fresh basil, minced garlic, salt, pepper, and olive oil before baking if you want a really authentic Greek pizza recipe.
Pizza is of course an Italian dish but it is possible to add a flair of pretty much any cuisine by changing the toppings. For example, using curried chicken gives the pizza an Indian edge while using feta cheese and Greek oregano adds a Greek element to the flavor. This recipe takes the Greek taste to the next level though, by incorporating Greek oregano and other Greek ingredients into the crust itself.
Then, if you want to fortify the Greek appeal, you can use toppings from Greece like the feta cheese, black olives and perhaps using a creamy lemon sauce rather than tomato sauce. Another way of making it is to top the crust with mozzarella and feta only, to make a cheese pizza, then serve Greek salad (cucumber, tomato, black olives, and cheese, sprinkled with red wine vinegar, extra-virgin olive oil and some Greek oregano) on the side, for a complete meal blending Italian and Greek cuisines seamlessly.
- 1 envelope dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons Greek oregano, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin Greek olive oil
- 1 ½ teaspoons coarse sea salt
- ¼ cup stone ground cornmeal
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- ⅔ cup warm water
- 2 cups bread flour or all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Combine and knead everything together for 8 minutes.
- Cover the dough with a kitchen towel and let it rise somewhere warm for 1 hour. Knead the dough again and roll it out to pan size.
- Add toppings, drizzle with olive oil and bake for 20 minutes or until the crust is golden and the cheese has melted.
This Greek pizza crust is really versatile. You can top it with sauce, cheese and all your favorite toppings to make a hearty pizza, or you could take inspiration from the picture, using just cheese on top to contrast with the Greek oregano in the crust, and then topping the cooked pizza with salad leaves. Drizzle some Greek extra-virgin olive oil over the top and perhaps add some lemon zest too, and you will have a gourmet feast on your hands. If you want to add some cooked lamb, shrimp or calamari, for a meaty result, that is also nice to do with this crust recipe.
Leave a Reply
- Homemade Italian Sausage and Spinach Calzone May 7, 2016
- Classic Italian Chicken Saltimbocca April 22, 2016
- Hunter Style Baked Italian Chicken Cacciatore April 6, 2016
- Wild Mushroom Boletus Italian Style Soup April 3, 2016
- Vegetarian Pasta Primavera with Fettuccine March 30, 2016
- Roman Style Saltimbocca Alla Romana with Polenta March 25, 2016
- Classic Italian Dishes – Parmigiana Eggplant March 25, 2016
- Authentic Vegetarian Italian Asparagus Risotto March 23, 2016
- Rotisserie Chicken and Vegetable Risotto March 19, 2016
- Citrus Feta Cheese Risotto with Spinach March 18, 2016
- One of the Best Vegetarian Lasagna Recipes with Ricotta Cheese (404200 Views)
- Home (141874 Views)
- Best Pizza Sauce for Home Made Pizza (64562 Views)
- Crispy Chicken Milanese with Herb (27672 Views)
- Authentic Clams Oreganata (20399 Views)
- The Best Bechamel in the World (14845 Views)
- Authentic Old World Italian Pizza Dough Recipe (13684 Views)
- Lasagna Rollups in the Slow Cooker (11772 Views)
- Classic Lasagna with Creamy Bechamel Sauce (11317 Views)
- Just How Far Ahead Can I Make Lasagna (11314 Views)