Traditional Sicilian Pizza Dough Recipe
Sicily is world renowned for its excellent pizzas and, with the following recipe, you can learn how to make pizza dough the authentic way. This Sicilian pizza dough recipe contains yeast, flour, water, oil, sugar and salt and needs to double in size so begin making it a while before you are ready to bake the pizza.
For the best pizza topping, slice your ingredients finely. A good topping for this pizza crust would be garlic, fresh spinach, tomatoes, toasted pine nuts, mushrooms, Parmesan, feta, and mozzarella. Then you can drizzle some olive oil on the top and add salt and pepper before baking.
Sicilian pizza has quite a thick crust and is like deep-dish pizza. It is thought this style of pizza has been enjoyed on the western side of Sicily since the mid-1800s. This kind of pizza is also available in the United States, where it usually comes in a rectangular shape.
Typical Sicilian toppings include onions, tomatoes, herbs, anchovies, as well as a strong Italian cheese like Toma or Caciocavallo. Sicilian pizza is not only thicker than many other kinds, but it also has more cheese on top than the others, partly to balance out the thick crust. There is also a lot of sauce and that is often ladled on top of the toppings instead of going straight on the crust, to prevent it soaking through.
- 2 packages dry yeast
- 1 ½ cups warm water
- 4 cups flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Coat a bowl with a teaspoon of the oil and set it aside.
- Stir the water, sugar, and yeast together and sit for 10 minutes. Put 3 cups of the flour in a large bowl and add the salt.
- Spread the rest of the flour over a board. Add the olive oil to the yeast mixture, and then add this to the bowl of flour. Stir until well mixed then turn out on to the floured board.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Knead the dough well until you have a smooth ball of dough.
- Place it in the greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap and then a towel and let it sit for 30 minutes or until the dough has at least doubled in size.
- Use half the dough to make a pizza crust, brush the edges with olive oil, and add your choice of toppings.
- Bake on a ceramic tile or pizza stone for 15 minutes.
In the United States, a Sicilian style pizza is often an inch thick or even more, but it is not this thick in Sicily. Since you are preparing this recipe yourself and making the dough, you can choose how thick you want it. This dough is made with just 6 ingredients which you probably already have in the cupboard, and then you can add generous amounts of tomato sauce and cheese, along with pepperoni, anchovies, olives, or whatever toppings you would prefer to use. This is a hearty and delicious pizza which the whole family is going to adore.
Leave a Reply
- Homemade Italian Sausage and Spinach Calzone May 7, 2016
- Classic Italian Chicken Saltimbocca April 22, 2016
- Hunter Style Baked Italian Chicken Cacciatore April 6, 2016
- Wild Mushroom Boletus Italian Style Soup April 3, 2016
- Vegetarian Pasta Primavera with Fettuccine March 30, 2016
- Roman Style Saltimbocca Alla Romana with Polenta March 25, 2016
- Classic Italian Dishes – Parmigiana Eggplant March 25, 2016
- Authentic Vegetarian Italian Asparagus Risotto March 23, 2016
- Rotisserie Chicken and Vegetable Risotto March 19, 2016
- Citrus Feta Cheese Risotto with Spinach March 18, 2016
- One of the Best Vegetarian Lasagna Recipes with Ricotta Cheese (404501 Views)
- Home (142078 Views)
- Best Pizza Sauce for Home Made Pizza (64881 Views)
- Crispy Chicken Milanese with Herb (27742 Views)
- Authentic Clams Oreganata (20426 Views)
- The Best Bechamel in the World (14868 Views)
- Authentic Old World Italian Pizza Dough Recipe (13707 Views)
- Lasagna Rollups in the Slow Cooker (11782 Views)
- Just How Far Ahead Can I Make Lasagna (11335 Views)
- Classic Lasagna with Creamy Bechamel Sauce (11326 Views)