Deep Dish Chicago Style Pizza
This old Chicago style pizza is very tasty and the base is homemade. The dough for the base must be refrigerated overnight so allow plenty of time for making it. Mozzarella is used directly on top of the base but you can use half mozzarella and half provolone cheese if you prefer.
Next, you can add your choice of toppings. Sweet Italian sausage is very popular in a traditional Chicago style pizza recipe. The pizza is topped with crushed tomatoes and Parmesan and baked. This is a tasty, filling deep-dish pizza and you can be as creative as you want with the toppings.
These days there are many ways to make pizza. You have stuffed crusts, gourmet pizzas with ingredients like crab or lobster, avocado, and various other delicacies, as well as lots of fusion pizzas with international flair. It is nice to enjoy these but sometimes nothing warms the heart like an old-fashioned pizza recipe. This could be something that reminds you of your childhood perhaps, when pizza in the oven meant a treat for the whole family, or perhaps it will put you mind of when you went to an Italian restaurant with your date and shared a tasty old-fashioned pizza.
Whichever is true for you, this recipe shows you how to make such a dish, and the flavors are sure to make you happy. Pizza made the old-fashioned way means a tasty crust, a rich-tasting tomato sauce, and classic toppings like mozzarella and perhaps some pepperoni or sausage too. This lovely treat is not difficult to make, even if you are new to making your own pizzas, and the flavor will make all your efforts worthwhile.
- 3 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups yellow cornmeal
- 1 ½ cups water
- ½ cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 ¼ teaspoons active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
- 3 ½ cups canned crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- Olive oil (not extra virgin) for coating dish
- ½ lb sliced mozzarella
- Toppings (your choice - sweet Italian sausage, pepperoni, bell pepper and onion are all good)
- Combine the water, yeast, sugar, salt, cornmeal, and flour in a bowl and mix on a low speed until the dough comes together. Add the oil gradually. Mix for seven minutes more. Shape the dough into a ball and refrigerate in a bowl covered with loose plastic wrap and a dishtowel over the top. Leave it to rise overnight.
- Take the dough out of the refrigerator an hour before making the pizza.
- Set the bottom oven rack as low as it will go and preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Coat the bottom of a well seasoned 15 by 2 inch pan with olive oil and place the dough ball in the middle of the pan. Press it out until the whole pan base is covered. Pull it up the sides with your fingers, pinching the edge against the sides. If the dough will not hold the shape, cover it with a towel and rest for 15 minutes first.
- Cover the bottom of the dough with mozzarella and add your toppings. Spoon the tomatoes on top and sprinkle the Italian herbs over, then the Parmesan.
- Bake the pizza for 20 to 25 minutes, turning it halfway through, until the crust is golden.
- Remove from the oven and cool 3 minutes. Remove the pizza from the pan, slice, and serve hot.
Few dishes can warm the soul as well as a classic pizza can, especially a lovely homemade one. If you want to enjoy pizza made the old-fashioned way, consider making this recipe. The homemade crust is topped with juicy tomato sauce, mozzarella, and then you can choose your other toppings, so think about pepperoni, sausage, chicken, or any other meaty ingredients which appeal, and perhaps other ingredients like olives, corn and mushrooms. Alternatively just the tomato sauce and mozzarella will make a tasty pizza if you want a simple and rustic result.
Leave a Reply
- Homemade Italian Sausage and Spinach Calzone May 7, 2016
- Classic Italian Chicken Saltimbocca April 22, 2016
- Hunter Style Baked Italian Chicken Cacciatore April 6, 2016
- Wild Mushroom Boletus Italian Style Soup April 3, 2016
- Vegetarian Pasta Primavera with Fettuccine March 30, 2016
- Roman Style Saltimbocca Alla Romana with Polenta March 25, 2016
- Classic Italian Dishes – Parmigiana Eggplant March 25, 2016
- Authentic Vegetarian Italian Asparagus Risotto March 23, 2016
- Rotisserie Chicken and Vegetable Risotto March 19, 2016
- Citrus Feta Cheese Risotto with Spinach March 18, 2016
- One of the Best Vegetarian Lasagna Recipes with Ricotta Cheese (404200 Views)
- Home (141874 Views)
- Best Pizza Sauce for Home Made Pizza (64562 Views)
- Crispy Chicken Milanese with Herb (27672 Views)
- Authentic Clams Oreganata (20399 Views)
- The Best Bechamel in the World (14845 Views)
- Authentic Old World Italian Pizza Dough Recipe (13684 Views)
- Lasagna Rollups in the Slow Cooker (11772 Views)
- Classic Lasagna with Creamy Bechamel Sauce (11317 Views)
- Just How Far Ahead Can I Make Lasagna (11314 Views)