Tasty and Traditional Sicilian Pizza
Sicilian pizza originated in the Palermo region of Sicily. Unlike with many other pizza recipes, the cheese on a Sicilian pizza goes underneath the sauce. An authentic Sicilian pizza recipe will call for anchovies and pecorino cheese. Sicilian pizza in the United States is usually a square pie with thick dough and is called tomato pie.
You will find it throughout Italian-American parts of New Jersey and New York, especially in the Utica area of New York where a lot of Sicilians live. Tomato pie is usually served in an aluminum-baking sheet. In this Sicilian pizza recipe, we are using an authentic dough and tasty Sicilian pizza toppings, including anchovies and pecorino cheese.
Enjoy pizza made the authentic Sicilian way by making this special pizza recipe. The traditional taste of Sicily is apparent in every bite of this lovely dish. The dough is really easy to prepare so, even if you have never made your own pizza crust before, you will find it fun and simple to make. The crust is topped with tomato concentrate, 2 kinds of cheese, and all the other toppings.
Each new topping you add will enhance the beauty, color and appeal of this Sicilian pizza. The toppings go on top of the cheese in this recipe, and if you want it true Sicilian style you could even spread the tomato concentrate over the cheese too, so the cheese is right next to the crust, else just put the sauce on first. Either way is good.
- 4 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 packages active dry yeast
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons shredded mozzarella
- 3 tablespoons grated pecorino cheese
- ½ can anchovies, drained and chopped
- tomato concentrate, as needed
- ¼ cup zucchini, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 5 black olives, sliced
- 5 green olives, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- ¼ cup arugula, chopped
- 1 ½ cups warm water (105 degrees F)
- Combine the yeast with ½ cup of the flour and the warm water in a bowl covered in plastic wrap. Let it rise for 15 minutes and then stir to deflate the mixture. Add 2 more cups of flour, some salt, a cup of cool tap water and the oil. Mix well.
- Add the rest of the flour. Knead for 10 minutes on a floured surface by hand or in a machine until smooth. Put the dough in a bowl dusted with flour and cover with plastic wrap. Let it rise for an hour or 2 until it has doubled in size.
- Punch the dough down and put it in a Ziploc bag in the refrigerator until you are ready to use it.
- Heat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Shape the chilled dough into a crust shape. Lightly oil a pan and place the dough into it, stretching it to touch all the corners or edges.
- Let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Spread thetomato concentrate over the crust, leaving half an inch bare at the edges, followed by the mozzarella and pecorino cheeses, oregano and then the rest of the toppings.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until the pizza crust is golden brown and the toppings are hot.
Thin, crispy, and full of amazing flavors – that is perhaps the best way to describe the experience of eating Sicilian pizza. Although the American take on Sicilian pizza is different from the authentic dish, and that is also a tasty pizza, this one takes the Sicilian pizza back to its roots, namely Sicily of course, delivering a traditional taste of Sicily to your plate. The 2 kinds of cheese combine beautifully with the other toppings and simple tomato concentrate used as a sauce, to really wow your taste buds.
Leave a Reply
- Homemade Italian Sausage and Spinach Calzone May 7, 2016
- Classic Italian Chicken Saltimbocca April 22, 2016
- Hunter Style Baked Italian Chicken Cacciatore April 6, 2016
- Wild Mushroom Boletus Italian Style Soup April 3, 2016
- Vegetarian Pasta Primavera with Fettuccine March 30, 2016
- Roman Style Saltimbocca Alla Romana with Polenta March 25, 2016
- Classic Italian Dishes – Parmigiana Eggplant March 25, 2016
- Authentic Vegetarian Italian Asparagus Risotto March 23, 2016
- Rotisserie Chicken and Vegetable Risotto March 19, 2016
- Citrus Feta Cheese Risotto with Spinach March 18, 2016
- One of the Best Vegetarian Lasagna Recipes with Ricotta Cheese (410778 Views)
- Home (146727 Views)
- Best Pizza Sauce for Home Made Pizza (70616 Views)
- Crispy Chicken Milanese with Herb (29037 Views)
- Authentic Clams Oreganata (21289 Views)
- The Best Bechamel in the World (15162 Views)
- Authentic Old World Italian Pizza Dough Recipe (14167 Views)
- Lasagna Rollups in the Slow Cooker (11950 Views)
- Just How Far Ahead Can I Make Lasagna (11760 Views)
- Classic Lasagna with Creamy Bechamel Sauce (11515 Views)