Perfect Pesto Pizza Sauce
Pesto pizza sauce is a change from regular tomato based sauces that is flavorful and fun, and it is getting a lot more popular. Pesto also makes a great sandwich spread, toast topping, dip, and is great in any number of other uses. Adding parsley, lemon and red pepper to this recipe gives it a bit more zing on your pie.
Top your pesto pizza with goat cheese roasted cherry tomatoes and roasted garlic for a fantastic taste treat. Try this excellent basil based Italian food on just about everything – not just pizza. While you are waiting for the nuts to cool, you can just put the remaining ingredients in the food processor. Taste as you go along to figure out what the best ingredient balance is for you.
Most of us have enjoyed pasta tossed with pesto sauce, but not many of us have used such a sauce on a pizza, in which case why not try this recipe, because the pesto is amazing with the other ingredients in a pizza, especially if you add tomato slices and mozzarella on top, so you get the classic tomato, mozzarella and basil trio that Italians love. You just have to toast the pine nuts, and the quickest way to do this (unless the oven happens to be hot already) is to put them in a dry skillet and let them become aromatic and golden brown.
Take care not to toast them too much. Anything more than a light golden brown is too much, and shake the pan sometimes so they toast evenly. They can then go into the food processor with the other ingredients in this pesto sauce recipe until you have something which is the right texture.
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves
- 1 cup fresh Italian parsley leaves
- ½ cup parmesan cheese, grated
- ½ cup pine nuts, toasted
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped roughly
- ⅛ teaspoon red pepper, or more to taste
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons water
- Toast pine nuts in hot pan or in oven.
- Allow to cool.
- Combine all ingredients in blender or food processor and puree until a thick, smooth paste has formed.
- Allow to rest for thirty minutes for flavors to develop, and then spread on pizza crust as usual.
Pesto is lovely with pasta, but make some homemade pesto and spread it over your favorite pizza crust, and you will wonder why you never thought of doing this before. It makes a change from tomato-based pizza sauce and it is easy to prepare. Boasting fresh basil and parsley, as well as toasted pine nuts, garlic and lemon, this pesto is bursting with flavor. Spread it over your pizza crust then top the pizza with mozzarella, sliced tomatoes and any other ingredients you want. The photo shows what your finished pesto sauce will look like.
Leave a Reply
- Homemade Italian Sausage and Spinach Calzone May 7, 2016
- Classic Italian Chicken Saltimbocca April 22, 2016
- Hunter Style Baked Italian Chicken Cacciatore April 6, 2016
- Wild Mushroom Boletus Italian Style Soup April 3, 2016
- Vegetarian Pasta Primavera with Fettuccine March 30, 2016
- Roman Style Saltimbocca Alla Romana with Polenta March 25, 2016
- Classic Italian Dishes – Parmigiana Eggplant March 25, 2016
- Authentic Vegetarian Italian Asparagus Risotto March 23, 2016
- Rotisserie Chicken and Vegetable Risotto March 19, 2016
- Citrus Feta Cheese Risotto with Spinach March 18, 2016
- One of the Best Vegetarian Lasagna Recipes with Ricotta Cheese (404501 Views)
- Home (142076 Views)
- Best Pizza Sauce for Home Made Pizza (64881 Views)
- Crispy Chicken Milanese with Herb (27742 Views)
- Authentic Clams Oreganata (20426 Views)
- The Best Bechamel in the World (14868 Views)
- Authentic Old World Italian Pizza Dough Recipe (13707 Views)
- Lasagna Rollups in the Slow Cooker (11782 Views)
- Just How Far Ahead Can I Make Lasagna (11333 Views)
- Classic Lasagna with Creamy Bechamel Sauce (11326 Views)