Homemade Italian Style Pizza
Despite beliefs to the contrary, Italians did not invent pizza, but that honor belongs to an American. However, Italians certainly have improved pizza since the day that it was invented, and you will find that the Italian style of pizza is a simple one that is delightful and flavorful. Making your own homemade Italian pizza can be one of the best ways to enjoy the unique cuisine from Italy in the comfort of your own home.
The Italian pizza differs slightly from American pizza. The main difference is that the tomato sauce is much more acidic, the pizza crust is very thin, and there are few toppings used aside from tomatoes and green herbs. Making this style of pizza by following the recipe below can be a lot of fun, and you will find that making pizza has never been easier.
While this style of pizza may not be what you are used to, you will quickly find yourself growing to love Italian style pizza. The combination of the rich cheese with the tangy acidity of the tomato sauce and the salty crust has always been a popular mix, but the fresh tomatoes, basil, and oregano added as the toppings will be the perfect way to enjoy your pizza.
- 4 cups of white flour
- 1 ½ cups of warm water
- 1 ½ tablespoons of yeast
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 5 large tomatoes
- 2 small tomatoes
- 1 pound of cheese
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Combine the warm water and yeast in a bowl, and add the yeast mixture into a bowl with the flour and oil. Mix well with your hands until the dough forms into a ball, and knead for 15 minutes. Set the dough aside in a large bowl to rise for an hour and a half.
- Chop the large tomatoes in half and place them in a saucepan to boil. Once the tomatoes are stewed, puree them in the blender and place the tomato sauce back in the saucepan. Cook for 30 minutes more, and add the spices at will.
- Once the dough has risen properly, roll it out into thin pizza crusts. Place the crusts in the oven to cook for 5 minutes, or until stiff.
- Spread a layer of the tomato sauce on the crusts, and add the grated cheese. Slice the small tomatoes into slices of medium thickness, and add them to the pizza. Sprinkle salt, pepper, oregano, basil, and thyme as desired, and place in the oven to cook for 20 minutes.
As you can see, the recipe for the pizza is incredibly simple. It will be fairly time consuming to let the dough rise and the tomatoes to cook, but it will be well worth it just to get a slice of this delicious homemade Italian style pizza. The cheese and tomatoes pair beautifully with the pizza crust. This is how pizza was supposed to be made. Some herbs complement these classic Italian flavors and what you get when you make this is something that will make your taste buds sing. Treat yourself to homemade pizza tonight because this is just amazing.
One Response to Homemade Italian Style Pizza
Leave a Reply
- Homemade Italian Sausage and Spinach Calzone May 7, 2016
- Classic Italian Chicken Saltimbocca April 22, 2016
- Hunter Style Baked Italian Chicken Cacciatore April 6, 2016
- Wild Mushroom Boletus Italian Style Soup April 3, 2016
- Vegetarian Pasta Primavera with Fettuccine March 30, 2016
- Roman Style Saltimbocca Alla Romana with Polenta March 25, 2016
- Classic Italian Dishes – Parmigiana Eggplant March 25, 2016
- Authentic Vegetarian Italian Asparagus Risotto March 23, 2016
- Rotisserie Chicken and Vegetable Risotto March 19, 2016
- Citrus Feta Cheese Risotto with Spinach March 18, 2016
- One of the Best Vegetarian Lasagna Recipes with Ricotta Cheese (404501 Views)
- Home (142076 Views)
- Best Pizza Sauce for Home Made Pizza (64881 Views)
- Crispy Chicken Milanese with Herb (27742 Views)
- Authentic Clams Oreganata (20426 Views)
- The Best Bechamel in the World (14868 Views)
- Authentic Old World Italian Pizza Dough Recipe (13707 Views)
- Lasagna Rollups in the Slow Cooker (11782 Views)
- Just How Far Ahead Can I Make Lasagna (11333 Views)
- Classic Lasagna with Creamy Bechamel Sauce (11326 Views)