Vegetarian Focaccia Pizza
If you like focaccia bread, you will love this recipe. Focaccia pizzas are all the rage; you can even find Digiorno focaccia pizza in your freezer section at the store. This one will leave those store pizzas behind in the dust. Not only does this recipe teach you to make your own focaccia bread, it is topped with delicious vegetables that are tasty and good for you. If you are trying to eat better and lose weight, this recipe may be right up your alley. Unlike frozen pizzas, this one is made with only the freshest ingredients and you will not have any preservatives to worry about.
Use your favorite vegetables in this dish or use the ones we suggest. All the vegetables we list have healthy benefits for you as well as being full of delicious flavors. This pizza does not use sauce or cheese, so all you enjoy are the sweet, roasted vegetables. This recipe takes no longer than your average dinner recipe to prepare, and that includes the rising time for the bread. Prep time is minimal; a quick mixing of the dough and some chopping of the vegetables and you are practically done.
This is a perfect vegetarian recipe to make when you want to avoid meat or animal products. All the ingredients are plant or mineral based. You can even serve this to your vegan friends and they will find it delicious. It makes a wonderful vegetarian dish to serve at a dinner party when you have guests over who prefer not to eat meat.
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup wheat flour
- 1 Tablespoon fresh yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tomatoes, chopped
- ¼ cup mushrooms, sliced
- ¼ cup red bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- ¼ cup onion, chopped
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- ¼ teaspoon oregano
- 2 teaspoons cornmeal
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Place the oil and salt for the focaccia in a large mixing bowl. Add the water and mix well. Add the yeast and mix. Add the flours gradually, mixing until they form a dough. Place the dough in a greased bowl and cover with a damp cloth. Set it aside to rise for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Combine the tomatoes, mushrooms, peppers, onion, olive oil, vinegar, salt, garlic cloves, oregano, cornmeal, and black pepper into a large bowl. Set aside.
- Grease your pizza pan. Spread the dough out on the pan and prick it all over with a fork. Bake the dough at 475 degrees Fahrenheit for 5 minutes, or until browned. Place the vegetable mixture on top and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Note: You can shape the dough into individual pizzas and top with the vegetable mixture so everyone has their own if you prefer.
We made individual portions with our vegetable focaccia pizza. Feel free to follow our recipe or tailor the vegetables to your own individual preferences. This is a healthy alternative to frozen pizzas or those laden with cheese and other high calorie ingredients. You can eat these on their own or serve them as a side dish with a salad or a portion of meat. We have ours with a nice grilled chicken breast. This vegetable focaccia makes an excellent appetizer when sliced in bite size pieces. They also make a wonderful snack.
Leave a Reply
- Homemade Italian Sausage and Spinach Calzone May 7, 2016
- Classic Italian Chicken Saltimbocca April 22, 2016
- Hunter Style Baked Italian Chicken Cacciatore April 6, 2016
- Wild Mushroom Boletus Italian Style Soup April 3, 2016
- Vegetarian Pasta Primavera with Fettuccine March 30, 2016
- Roman Style Saltimbocca Alla Romana with Polenta March 25, 2016
- Classic Italian Dishes – Parmigiana Eggplant March 25, 2016
- Authentic Vegetarian Italian Asparagus Risotto March 23, 2016
- Rotisserie Chicken and Vegetable Risotto March 19, 2016
- Citrus Feta Cheese Risotto with Spinach March 18, 2016
- One of the Best Vegetarian Lasagna Recipes with Ricotta Cheese (410880 Views)
- Home (146758 Views)
- Best Pizza Sauce for Home Made Pizza (70676 Views)
- Crispy Chicken Milanese with Herb (29047 Views)
- Authentic Clams Oreganata (21297 Views)
- The Best Bechamel in the World (15166 Views)
- Authentic Old World Italian Pizza Dough Recipe (14169 Views)
- Lasagna Rollups in the Slow Cooker (11950 Views)
- Just How Far Ahead Can I Make Lasagna (11761 Views)
- Classic Lasagna with Creamy Bechamel Sauce (11515 Views)