Amazing Artichoke Pie
This artichoke pie is versatile enough to be a snack or complete meal, but consider serving a thin wedge as an appetizer before a meat entrée. We are using canned artichoke hearts but if you prefer to use cooked fresh artichoke you can do that. We are also using parmesan and mozzarella cheeses, eggs, breadcrumbs, garlic, and a piecrust. Enjoy this warm from the oven or cold. It goes to show how tasty an Italian vegetarian appetizer can be, and everyone will enjoy the amazing flavors.
This does not take long to prepare but it does need about 45 minutes to bake. You can tell when it is done because the top will be golden brown and the aroma will be incredible. Your whole kitchen is going to smell amazing when you make this. As you can see, all the ingredients are typically Italian, so of course the end flavor will be Italian as well. If you want to tweak the recipe you can add spinach, ham or fresh sliced tomatoes, or you might want to use marinated artichokes instead of plain ones for a slightly richer flavor in the finished pie.
This is a very simple pie and you need very few ingredients. Some people prefer to make their own piecrust but it is easier just to buy a readymade 9-inch pie crust and use that. If you want to make this a low-carb recipe just omit the piecrust altogether and use a lightly oiled baking dish instead, so you end up with a crustless pie. If you do not want to serve this as an appetizer, consider a wedge of the pie with some salad for lunch. This serves 8 as an appetizer or perhaps 4 as an entrée with a side dish.
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 oz shredded mozzarella
- 12 oz canned artichoke hearts, drained
- ½ cup grated parmesan
- ½ cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 3 beaten eggs
- 1 unbaked 9-inch pie crust
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat the oil in a skillet.
- Sauté the garlic until it begins to brown.
- Add the artichoke hearts and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the breadcrumbs and half the parmesan and cook, stirring, for a minute.
- Transfer half the artichoke mixture into the piecrust.
- Pour the eggs over the artichoke mixture and sprinkle in the remaining parmesan.
- Spoon the remainder of the artichoke mixture into the pie.
- Top with mozzarella.
- Bake the pie for 45 minutes, or until the crust starts to brown.
There are plenty of Italian pie recipes you can make, but this one is always a winner because the artichoke, garlic and cheese flavors work so harmoniously together and it delights many people who have never tried such a pie before. Served as an appetizer, snack or main meal, this always hits the spot. Some home cooks like to add other ingredients to this simple artichoke pie, like spinach, ham, other types of cheese, or slices of juicy fresh tomato, so you can add whatever you like and still end up with a really delicious pie. The flavors are fresh and impressive, and the tasty is truly Italian.
Leave a Reply
- Homemade Italian Sausage and Spinach Calzone May 7, 2016
- Classic Italian Chicken Saltimbocca April 22, 2016
- Hunter Style Baked Italian Chicken Cacciatore April 6, 2016
- Wild Mushroom Boletus Italian Style Soup April 3, 2016
- Vegetarian Pasta Primavera with Fettuccine March 30, 2016
- Roman Style Saltimbocca Alla Romana with Polenta March 25, 2016
- Classic Italian Dishes – Parmigiana Eggplant March 25, 2016
- Authentic Vegetarian Italian Asparagus Risotto March 23, 2016
- Rotisserie Chicken and Vegetable Risotto March 19, 2016
- Citrus Feta Cheese Risotto with Spinach March 18, 2016
- One of the Best Vegetarian Lasagna Recipes with Ricotta Cheese (410778 Views)
- Home (146726 Views)
- Best Pizza Sauce for Home Made Pizza (70616 Views)
- Crispy Chicken Milanese with Herb (29037 Views)
- Authentic Clams Oreganata (21289 Views)
- The Best Bechamel in the World (15162 Views)
- Authentic Old World Italian Pizza Dough Recipe (14167 Views)
- Lasagna Rollups in the Slow Cooker (11950 Views)
- Just How Far Ahead Can I Make Lasagna (11760 Views)
- Classic Lasagna with Creamy Bechamel Sauce (11515 Views)