In America Italian food is almost as much a home grown national cuisine as any other. The large number of Italian immigrants brought all their wonderful recipes from Italy and over generations many of these have slow transformed into a sub culture of American cuisine. Many traditional Italian dishes have been worked into our daily lives to the point that we have almost taken ownership of them ourselves.
Don’t believe me did you know pizza is the only food in the telephone book (remember those) that has its own category. It is so much part of American culture that we have taken the wonderful recipes from all over Italy and transformed them into our own style of pizza and this has gotten to the point where even within the US there are distinct regional variations just like a Sicilian pizza is different from a Nepalese pizza so is a New York pizza distinctly different from a Chicago pizza.
In the restaurant business Italian food is among the most popular of all the ethnic cuisines second now only to maybe Chinese and Mexican. It is often said when going out let’s go for Italian food by many not that what they will encounter is anything short of what we Americans have made of traditional Italian fair. Just like food in a Chinese restaurant is highly Americanized so is Italian food. It does not make it right or wrong just what it is a blend of cultural influences that have melded together to just make great taste. Continue reading
Although a lot of pasta recipes are 100% Italian this one features Italian ingredients and Chinese flavorings to make a fusion dish which offers a change of pace from your usual Italian pasta recipes. Fettuccine pasta is used here but feel free to swap it for linguine or spaghetti, or even pasta shapes such as penne or bowties. You will also need some cooked chicken breast for this dish. If you do not have any you can cook some up beforehand of course, or else just make use of leftover chicken.
We are also adding carrot, both to add a bright color to the dish and also a nice sweetness. The seasonings are sesame oil, ginger and soy sauce, and then you can add red and/or black pepper for a touch of spice. Fresh cilantro makes a nice garnish and the vivid green color contrasts well with the yellow and orange in the dish. Pasta is similar to Asian noodles in a way, which is why this dish works so well.
Chicken features in a lot of Italian recipes but the seasonings in this recipe are more Eastern than Western, so it really is a fusion meal. This is a very easy dish to make. Just cook the pasta and carrots, then stir the remaining ingredients into the dish and cook it for a couple of minutes. Remember the chicken is already cooked so it only needs to be warmed through by tossing it with the other ingredients. Make this as mild or as spicy as you wish, adding red pepper flakes for a nice kick, or a pinch of chili powder instead if that is what you have. Continue reading
- Homemade Italian Sausage and Spinach Calzone May 7, 2016
- Classic Italian Chicken Saltimbocca April 22, 2016
- Hunter Style Baked Italian Chicken Cacciatore April 6, 2016
- Wild Mushroom Boletus Italian Style Soup April 3, 2016
- Vegetarian Pasta Primavera with Fettuccine March 30, 2016
- Roman Style Saltimbocca Alla Romana with Polenta March 25, 2016
- Classic Italian Dishes – Parmigiana Eggplant March 25, 2016
- Authentic Vegetarian Italian Asparagus Risotto March 23, 2016
- Rotisserie Chicken and Vegetable Risotto March 19, 2016
- Citrus Feta Cheese Risotto with Spinach March 18, 2016
- One of the Best Vegetarian Lasagna Recipes with Ricotta Cheese (403236 Views)
- Home (141179 Views)
- Best Pizza Sauce for Home Made Pizza (63512 Views)
- Crispy Chicken Milanese with Herb (27504 Views)
- Authentic Clams Oreganata (20256 Views)
- The Best Bechamel in the World (14802 Views)
- Authentic Old World Italian Pizza Dough Recipe (13621 Views)
- Lasagna Rollups in the Slow Cooker (11737 Views)
- Classic Lasagna with Creamy Bechamel Sauce (11295 Views)
- Just How Far Ahead Can I Make Lasagna (11249 Views)