intro to pizza
Pizza is a deliciously versatile dish and comes in many varieties. There are different kinds of pizza dough and you can choose from a thin and crispy base, a deep fluffy dough base, or even a specialty dough like stuffed crust or whole wheat. As far as pizza toppings go, the sky is the limit. A tasty pizza sauce usually coats the pizza crust before the toppings are added.
Americans eat about three hundred and fifty slices of pizza every second. This is a hundred acres a day! Pizza is a thirty billion dollar industry in the United States every year and there are more than sixty thousand pizza parlors throughout the United States, selling three billion pizzas a year. In New York alone, there are nine thousand pizzerias. The most popular ethnic food in America is Italian and pizza is the best loved Italian food outside of Italy.
The Truth about Pizza and Health
Is pizza healthy, you might ask? Of course, it is possible to get healthy pizza, just as it is possible to get unhealthy pizza. When making your own pizzas at home, the great thing is that you have free rein over the ingredients used. A healthy pizza might be a whole-wheat thin crust, a tomato sauce, and a roasted vegetable topping with cheese. You can have healthy meat, fish, or vegetable toppings.
A lot of people ask the question is pizza healthy and it depends on how it is made. A thick fluffy base topped with a high fat butter rich sauce and three inches of meat, cheese and creamy topping ingredients is going to be less friendly to your waistline than a thin crust roasted vegetable pizza!
Pizza used to be considered a fast food along with hamburgers, French fries, and other high calorie snacks but not every pizza recipe uses fatty ingredients or calorific toppings. A homemade pizza with vegetables and chicken and a sprinkling of cheese is actually a healthy meal.
Which is the Best Loved Pizza?
Favorite pizza toppings vary around the world but America’s favorite pizza is pepperoni, according to research, and a massive thirty six percent of pizza orders include this ingredient! The most popular pizza around the world is pizza margarita, which is simply mozzarella cheese and tomatoes. Sixty two percent of Americans prefer meat-topped pizzas and the remaining thirty-eight prefer vegetarian pizza.
One of the best-loved pizza variations is BBQ, followed by Mexican, five cheeses, no cheese pizza pies, and traditional Italian pizzas such as new potato, Florentine, and margarita. Gourmet pizza toppings such as artichoke hearts, crayfish, oysters, eggplant, dandelions, and Cajun shrimp are gaining ground in some parts of the United States. Newer trends include Canadian bacon, duck, and venison.
Mushrooms, sausage, extra cheese, onion, and green bell pepper are the most commonly requested pizza toppings after pepperoni. So, what is the least favorite pizza topping? The answer to that is an anchovy.
Phoning for a pizza is something that most of us have done at some point but nothing beats the flavor of homemade pizza. Not only can you be creative with the dough, pizza sauce, and toppings but also you can keep your pizzas healthy as well as flavorful. You can even make a half and half pizza, maybe with meat toppings on one side and vegetables and cheese on the other side, if your family has different food preferences.
Pizza is versatile, easy to make and very tasty. No, wonder Americans claim pizza to be one of their favorite foods of all time!
- Homemade Italian Sausage and Spinach Calzone May 7, 2016
- Classic Italian Chicken Saltimbocca April 22, 2016
- Hunter Style Baked Italian Chicken Cacciatore April 6, 2016
- Wild Mushroom Boletus Italian Style Soup April 3, 2016
- Vegetarian Pasta Primavera with Fettuccine March 30, 2016
- Roman Style Saltimbocca Alla Romana with Polenta March 25, 2016
- Classic Italian Dishes – Parmigiana Eggplant March 25, 2016
- Authentic Vegetarian Italian Asparagus Risotto March 23, 2016
- Rotisserie Chicken and Vegetable Risotto March 19, 2016
- Citrus Feta Cheese Risotto with Spinach March 18, 2016
- One of the Best Vegetarian Lasagna Recipes with Ricotta Cheese (404813 Views)
- Home (142321 Views)
- Best Pizza Sauce for Home Made Pizza (65171 Views)
- Crispy Chicken Milanese with Herb (27806 Views)
- Authentic Clams Oreganata (20457 Views)
- The Best Bechamel in the World (14888 Views)
- Authentic Old World Italian Pizza Dough Recipe (13731 Views)
- Lasagna Rollups in the Slow Cooker (11792 Views)
- Just How Far Ahead Can I Make Lasagna (11355 Views)
- Classic Lasagna with Creamy Bechamel Sauce (11334 Views)